Monday, March 25, 2013

From the Foundation Center: Why housing is everyone’s issue



Gglsm
Guest post from Gretchen Greiner-Lott, Vice President, Washington Regional Association of Grantmakers.


Why should you care about housing? Well, during last week’s snow event, I had some time to think about that a bit. Although we were all stuck at home together, my family and I still had light, heat, and shelter from the elements, as well as access to stores. But some people I know were not that lucky. It made me think about all the things that many of us take for granted that are essential to a strong, healthy, and connected community.

Because I have lived in my neighborhood for some years, I know my neighbors. I know who is sick or elderly and might need some help during the snow. I also know who might be able to assist me, if the need should arise. For those folks in our region whose housing situation is different – they move from place to place in search of a more affordable housing situation or the affordable situation they find lands them in a not so safe neighborhood – their community experiences are very different. They are not connected or supported.

“What does this have to do with me?” you might ask.

Everything.

For the remainder of the essay from the Foundation Center, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment