- There are approximately 1.7 million homeless teens in the U.S.
- 39 percent of the homeless population is young people under 18.
- About 75 percent of homeless teens use drugs or alcohol as a means to self-medicate to deal with the traumatic experiences and abuse they face.
- 5,000 young people die every year because of assault, illness, or suicide while on the street.
- A U.S. Department of Health and Human Services study found that 46 percent of homeless youth left their home because of physical abuse. 17 percent left because of sexual abuse.
- Approximately 40 percent of homeless teens identify as LGBT.
- Over 50 percent of young people in shelters and on the streets report that their parents told them to leave or knew they were leaving and didn’t care.
- The average age a teen becomes homeless is 14.7 years.
- 1 in 7 young people between the ages of 10 and 18 will run away.
- Teens age 12 to 17 are more likely to become homeless than adults.
- HIV rates for homeless young people are 2 to 10 times higher than reported rates for other samples of adolescents in the U.S.
Monday, December 16, 2013
11 Facts About Homeless Teens
For the complete story and other links click here.