Monday, January 21, 2013

For Sandy victims, hotel stays can be a superstorm of frustration

“I’m still here because I can’t afford to leave," said Tammy Yingling, whose family has been staying in a Tinton Falls hotel after losing her Sea Bright home to Sandy. “Places are too expensive. I don’t think anyone realizes just how hard it is to find a place I can afford that’s right for my family.”

Their hotel stays are funded by the Federal Emergency Management Agency through a program called transitional sheltering assistance, which is given directly to participating hotels and can be renewed every two weeks at the state’s request. The current wave of that fund is set to run out Jan. 25.

So far, $17 million has been spent in New Jersey for hotel assistance, according to FEMA.

To read more click here

No comments:

Post a Comment